Communications and Development Associate
The mission of A+ Colorado (A+) is to sharpen public education by building public will and advocating for the changes necessary to dramatically increase student achievement in schools and districts in Colorado. Our board and partners include community leaders across the public, nonprofit, university, and business sectors. A+ Colorado is a growing advocacy, policy, and research nonprofit.
A+ Colorado seeks a detail oriented, innovative professional to join our team as the Communications and Development Associate. The person in this role will split their time between creating content for A+ Colorado’s communication channels, promoting A+’s work digitally, and fundraising. This individual must be highly organized, a quick learner, have excellent written and verbal communication skills, interest in modern communication channels such as newsletters and social media, and thrive in a fast-paced and team-oriented environment. We are looking for a bilingual (English/Spanish) candidate who can help grow the organization’s capacity to provide advocacy and research to new audiences by translating our content.
A successful candidate will be someone who is willing to do whatever it takes to accomplish a goal, and someone with a strong connection to the mission of the organization. As we are a small team, this role will also support A+ staff with the execution of other related organizational activities as needed.
Communications Responsibilities Include:
- Produce a weekly newsletter to A+’s audience in collaboration with the Director of Communications and Engagement, including crafting original content, curating ecosystem ongoings, and summarizing programmatic content
- Draft social media posts for multiple platforms, using best-practices for each platform
- Monitor A+’s social media and online presence, including replying to stakeholders and engaging with community
- Write and pitch content for A+ Colorado’s blog, and help manage communication content calendar for guest blog posts
- Lead translation of critical content from English to Spanish
- Support the Director of Communications and Engagement with writing content and designing promotional materials including press releases, fact sheets, annual reports and other collateral for print and digital channels
- Assist with website updates and identify opportunities to improve the website experience
- Contribute creative ideas for reaching new audiences
Development Responsibilities Include:
- Perform the full range of activities required to prepare, submit and manage grant proposals to foundation and corporate sources including writing proposals and reports
- Conduct research on foundations and corporations to evaluate potential prospects for support and help design and execute the strategy for prospective funders
- Create “submit-ready” copy with minimal editing needed
- Comply with all grant reporting as required by foundations/corporate donors
- Partner in the creation of an annual fundraising plan and continue to monitor progress towards goals
- Assist the President with soliciting sponsorships for the Annual A+ Fundraiser
- Assist the President in preparing for and following up on donor meetings and events
- Develop stewardship plan with communications calendar for managing donors
- Connect with donors digitally (i.e. through specialized newsletters or Twitter promotion)
- Design, write, and produce additional donor communication pieces as needed
- Assist with special events as needed
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, including ability to craft compelling and audience-specific content
- Fluent in written and spoken Spanish
- Extremely detail oriented, with an ability to meet internal deadlines, manage time independently, and prioritize tasks as necessary
- Familiar with trends in communications, including existing and emerging channels
- An interest in multimedia, including graphics, video, social media, and more
- Strong ability to manage projects from start to finish, prioritize and adapt to changing organizational needs
- Ability to work effectively both individually and to collaborate with a team
- Previous experience in writing and/or communications preferred
- Previous experience in nonprofit fundraising, grant writing, and/or donor relations preferred
Benefits and Salary
This will be an exempt, salaried position and offers a competitive benefit package that includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short and long term disability and 401k.
A+ is offering a competitive salary with this position, ranging from $40,000-$50,000 depending on experience.
How To Apply
Please submit a resume and a cover letter to email@example.com. We will accept applications until the position is filled but will conduct interviews on a rolling basis. Please reach out to Mary@apluscolorado.org with questions.
Nearly half of all Colorado public school students are students of color, forty percent of Colorado students qualify for free or reduced price lunch, and more than one out of every ten students receive special education services. We believe that these communities must be centered in the work we do. Therefore, we strongly encourage applications from people who share these backgrounds or who are members of other communities historically underserved by the public education system.
A+ is dedicated to equal employment opportunities in any term, condition, or privilege of employment. A+ prohibits unlawful discrimination against applicants or employees based on race, color, national origin, ancestry, creed, religion, sex, age 40 and over, disability, genetic information, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, gender expression or any other characteristic protected by state or local law. This policy applies to all employees.