Background on A+ Colorado
The mission of A+ Colorado (A+) is to harness the power of civic leadership to build public will and advocate for the changes necessary to dramatically increase student achievement in public education in Colorado. A+ Colorado is a growing advocacy, policy, and research nonprofit looking for a new member to join our team who is excited about building relationships with education stakeholders across the state.
This person is the voice of A+ in the community. A+ Colorado’s advocacy centers around amplifying the research and data analysis work of the organization to build support for improvements in our education system. The Advocacy Director will lead and manage meetings with key stakeholders from the community and oversee a variety of projects simultaneously and maintain important relationships. The Advocacy Director will take over a leading role in several active coalitions that A+ is engaged with and seek out new opportunities for partnership. This role will also support A+ staff with the execution of other related organizational activities including development, advocacy campaigns, research papers, and events.
A successful candidate will be someone who is willing to do whatever it takes to accomplish the goals of A+, someone who is able to independently anticipate problems and opportunities with minimal supervision, understand how to use data persuasively and to drive policy and decision making, and someone with a strong connection with the mission of the organization. Familiarity with communities in Colorado and public education would be an asset in this role.
- Build a network of community partners and advocates, business leaders, school board members, and district staff committed to driving actions important to the improvement of public schools;
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with key community leaders, elected officials, and school district and state-level staff to build a long-term, collaborative partnership for change;
- Play a significant role in long-term strategic planning for advocacy work, in collaboration with A+ staff and board of directions, while monitoring and reporting on implementation of the strategy;
- Establish A+ as a thought-leader and thought-partner for district improvement strategies;
- Provide regular in-person and written updates both formally and informally to keep all strategic partners and key stakeholders informed of activities and progress;
- Facilitate meetings and gatherings to further the A+ advocacy agenda and collaboration with partners, including some engagement and events outside of typical work hours.
Depending on the background of the candidate, other responsibilities might include:
- Assisting with internal and external communication (website, social media, newsletters), report editing and publication, project management, and event planning
- Contributing to grant applications and reporting on applicable advocacy activities
- Collecting and/or analyzing data to help drive decision-making
- Mission-driven and passionate about building a network of advocates for improving public schools in Colorado;
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build trust with diverse groups of people and organizations as evidenced by experience working across sectors and with diverse populations;
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to present data to drive decision-making;
- Evidence of strong public facilitation skills;
- Ability to work independently;
- Bilingual Spanish is a plus;
- Ability to travel frequently in the Metro Denver area; and occasionally throughout the state
- Ideally experience teaching or working in public education, but not required;
- Familiarity with local communities and organizations preferred.
Please submit a resume and a cover letter to email@example.com. We will accept applications until the position is filled but will conduct interviews on a rolling basis.
This will be a salaried position with a range of $50,000-$60,000 with a matching 401(k) plan after one year, employer sponsored health care coverage, paid holidays, and the opportunity for flexible scheduling.